Sunday, February 28, 2010

Back In Narragansett Where The Men, Bearded, Can Get All The Women Wicky Wacky Wett

Location: New London, CT (Liz & Dan's)
Date: Thursday, February 25, 2010
Time: 1:18 pm

I'm now freshly showered. It's quite amazing what a shower can do for you. It makes you feel so new and good. A shower makes you ready for anything. I'm presentable and could play a show or explore a city. Or I could take a nap considering I'm so comfortable. But instead I'm sitting and traveling. I'm moving at 56 miles per hour while only actually actively moving my thumbs. This has perplexed me for years now. I remember at a younger age sitting in the passenger seat of my family's red hatchback while my father drove. He brought up that he was basically only very minimally moving his right foot and hands and I was sitting still, but we were getting all over town. Traversing miles while moving millimeters. It's interesting, maybe.

Last evening at around 6 we arrived at Dan & Liz's house. (Yes, that is the same Liz and Dan of Dan and Liz.) They made us a mound of pizza from scratch as well as hummus and salsa with tortilla chips. They gave us some Polar brand pop, including ginger ale, orange dry, and birch beer. All had good taste but the birch beer won. It's sort of a more interesting, developed cream soda flavor. Later on we had Narragansett Lager. It's a Rhode Island staple, so says Liz. Narragansett is a good, sweet cheap beer, so says I.


This was found on Dan & Liz's wall.


And this was beside it. By Dan. I love it. I hope he doesn't mind me exposing his art to you.

Once it got to be 7:30 music started up. Dan and Liz played first. Their music is old timey, harmony, guitar and fiddle type stuff. It's also toe tappin' good. A couple of the harmonies in particular resonated with me. Then we played. It went well. Then The Weird Beards played. They were great and have only been playing together for a couple years. They play exciting, entertaining sort of funky rock with a touch of punk. This was the first time they've played all acoustically for about a year and I encourage them to stick with it. To me a band producing a sound independently is far more interesting, impressive and appealling. There's certainly times and genres where amplified sound is superior and needed. I'm just sayin'; keep it simple if you can. Anyways, The Weird Beards were highly entertaining and hilarious. I produced laughter a few times during their set. Brian of the band told me they have a number of short films online. I would have to think those keep your attention.

Dan left early this morning for the vineyard he works at, so it was just Liz and us for breakfast. We found out that Liz moved from New England to Portland, OR when she was 18. We've been talking about travel and figuring out life a fair amount on this tour. Money's trying to figure all that out right now. Immediately after tour he boards a cruise ship for a few months playing with the ships band. This tour has also involved a surprising amount of printing and faxing. iPod Mike's had to go through the rigormoral for this cruise job. It seems like every other city either he's printing and faxing for this job or we're printing arrangents or contracts and faxing those. The contract was for Daytrotter, so hopefully our session will come out soon. Well, all that stuff was boring. Thanks for reading to this point. Here's your prize: This has been edited by the author. Instead enjoy otter fodder. Enjoy!

Yours in NY traffic with weird thick snow,
Madd Stock Well

No comments:

Post a Comment